• Thu. May 13th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 10th August

John Delaney Cup – Quarter Finals
Last Wednesday, 6th August, Thurles Town were the visitors to TSDL outfit Glengoole United who were looking to build on an impressive 2013/2014 season and kick start this year with a home win against the North Tipp stalwarts. Thurles took the game to Glengoole from the start and were rewarded after 20 minutes when Tom Brophy broke the deadlock. The game itself ebbed and flowed with both sides failing to convert genuine chances at either end. The home side levelled matters when Andy Hanly found the net with 18 minutes remaining in normal time. Extra time ensued and Brian Nugent edged Town back in front with a fine header. Not to be outdone, Glengoole upped the tempo and levelled for the second time when Daniel Rafter clinically finished from close range with 5 minutes remaining. With both managers watching the clock with thoughts of a penalty shootout in mind, Brophy stepped up for his second goal of the game to put Town through to the semi-final against rivals Nenagh Town, which means North Tipperary will have representation in the John Delaney Cup Final for the fourth year in a row.

First Division
First division action kicked off this season with Rearcross ‘A’ entertaining newly promoted Streamstown Celtic ‘A’ last Thursday evening. The game was decided by a penalty 5 minutes before half time which was coolly slotted home by Craig Byrne. The home side did all but throw the kitchen sink at their visitors to score but found the visiting ‘keeper Jason Ryan in top form. Ryan was deservedly man of the match after a string of top class saves helped his side to their first 3 points of the league campaign.

Moneygall were the visitors to Holycross last Sunday morning and came out on the wrong side of a 2 nil score line. The games saw both sides play attacking football but were level at half time. The turning point in this fixture was the introduction of Holycross substitute Jo Jo O’Meara who crossed for Tossy Comerford to head home in the 75th minute. Not long after taking the lead, O’Meara scored the second for the home side which capped off a good week for the club after securing the First Division Shield the Sunday previous.

Arra Rovers made the long journey to Loughtagalla to face Borroway Rovers and left emptied handed after meeting a determined Rovers side who won out 5-2. Keith Moore bagged a hat trick for his day’s work and ably assisted by Seamus Woodlock who struck with a fine brace. John Dwyer was on the mark for Arra for their first and their second came courtesy of an own goal.

Nenagh Town ‘B’ were on the road for their first away game of the season to Ardcroney and were good value for their 4 – 1 victory. On the mark for Town was Paul Kelly with two goals, Derek McKenna and Mikey Duff. Ronan Boyle converted a penalty for Ardcroney’s solitary response.

Second Division
BT Harps ‘B’ were made to work hard for their 3 points at home to Ballymackey despite taking a 2 nil lead early in the game. Dylan Loughnanne finished from close range on 15 minutes and Johnny Doran converted from the spot 5 minutes later. The game stayed at 2 nil until the 85th minute when Timmy Fleming halved the deficit. The home side dug in for the victory which was made all the more remarkable considering they played 70 minutes with only 10 men.

Nenagh Celtic ‘B’ welcomed Divisional Shield winners Portumna Town to the VEC venue and claimed a worthy scalp in their first league game of the season. Celtic went into the half time break with a 3 nil lead courtesy of strikes from Terry Delaney, Sean O’Meara and Mark Walsh. Portumna reduced the score line to the minimum early in the second half and were left to rue a missed penalty which was well saved by Celtic ‘keeper Alan Daly. Celtic made sure of all 3 points with a late strike from Paul Walsh.

Roscrea United ‘B’ were visitors to Brickfields and took on Nenagh Town ‘C’ as they looked to start their league campaign with a win and stormed to a 4 -1 victory. Jimmy Callaghan bagged a brace while Shane Davis and Richard Brosnan also opened their league accounts. Stevie Daly replied for Town, who could have had troubled Roscrea further only for the impressive Darryl Ryan in the visiting goal.

Cloughjordan ‘B’ travelled to Drombane to play Clodiagh Rangers ‘B’ and despite going ahead with a strike from Dean O’Meara, Clodiagh turned in a solid performance in the second half and secured the victory with strikes from Matt Ryan and Patrick Purcell.

Third Division
Templetouhy played host to Clodiagh Rangers ‘C’ in the first round of third tier league action last Wednesday evening. The visitors took the lead when David Considine cleverly chipped the home ‘keeper from distance. Clodiagh failed to capitalise on a number of chances and were made to pay when John Leahy pounced to level matters for the hosts. Not long after, the visitors were behind thanks to a volley from Tony Buston. Considine bagged his second when he reacted quickest to a loose ball in the area and Shane Kinane sealed the win for the Drombane men late on with a strike from close range.

Shannon Rangers took on Lough Derg ‘B’ Thursday evening and romped home to a 6 – 2 win. Rangers’ goals came Keith Kelly, Mike Minehan, Andy Austin, Sean Moran and John Flannery who chipped in with a double strike. Lough Dergs replies both came from the boot of Eric Monaghan.

Rearcross ‘B’ made the trip to face Ballymackey ‘B’ and found the recent Divisional Shield winners in unstoppable form as they ran out 4 -1 winners. Martin Flynn scored twice for the home side with Rory Mounsey and Conor O’Meara also getting in on the action. Andy Ryan scored the consolation goal for the visitors.

League newcomers, Barnane F.C. entertained Gurtagarry at Latteragh last Wednesday evening in what turned out to be an entertaining affair with both sides sharing the spoils after playing out a 3 – 3 draw. Gurtagarry were good value for their 3 – 2 lead until Barnane netted the equalizer with the last kick of the game. On the mark for the home side were Michael Everard with two and JP Dwan. Gurtagarry goals came from Paddy O’Rourke (2) and Billy Corcoran.

Streamstown Celtic ‘B’ travelled to face Borrisokane ‘B’ and would have felt unlucky to leave empty handed after going down 2 – 0. The Roscrea side had put in a strong defensive display only to be undone late in the day with strikes from David Dunne and Brian Donnelly for the home side.

Division 3 newcomers Ballywilliam made their way to face Sallypark ‘B’ and lost 6 -2 in a high scoring contest. On the mark for the home side were Dan Bergin from the spot, Paudie Ryan, Dylan Reid, Kevin McGrath and James McCormack with a brace. Ballywilliam opened their league goal scoring account with goals from Damien Brady and Pierce Morris.

In the second round of Division 3 games this week, Lough Derg ‘B’ welcomed Templetouhy to the impressive Clarisford Park venue. With both sides having lost their opening fixtures, three vital points were up for grabs which went to the home side on a 6 – 2 score line. Three braces from Eric Monaghan, Ethan Mowat and Brian McInerney guaranteed the spoils despite strikes from Paddy Clavin and John Leahy for Templetouhy.

Rearcross ‘B’ lost 5-2 to Shannon Rangers ‘B’ Sunday morning in Rearcross, the game was level at the break but saw seven goals in the second half. The visitors broke the deadlock only for Kieran Devitt to draw Rearcross level with a low finish to corner of net. Shannon Rangers then upped the tempo and opened up a 4-1 lead. Kieran Devitt scored from the spot to make it 4-2 but it was too little too late as Rangers tagged on a 5th goal with time running out for the home side. On the mark for Shannon Rangers were Keith Kelly, Andy Austin (2), Sean Moran and Dan Reddan.

Gurtagarry were looking to seal all three points in this tie against Ballymackey ‘B’ having been held to a late draw the game previous and went about it in ruthless fashion as Billy Corcoran not only scored for the second game running, but netted an impressive hat trick. Ballymackey will rue a number of missed opportunities and had Martin Flynn to thank for their solitary strike.

Fanure was the venue for Streamtown Celtic ‘B’ and Barnane last Sunday and the home side emphatically put the previous league result behind them with a convincing 6 – 3 win over the Division 3 new boys. The home side raced into a 2 nil lead with strikes from Shane Carroll and Shane Moloney. Barnane showed good character and levelled matters before the break with strikes from JP Dwan and Martin McGrath. Celtic took control of the tie early in the second half with strikes from Shane Moloney for his second, Murt Grimes, Shane Carroll and James Kirwan. James Ryan scored Barnane’s third with little time left on the clock.

Ballywilliam entertained Borrisokane ‘B’ who were looking to build on their opening league victory and narrowly edged out a determined Ballywilliam side on a score line of 2 -1. Matt Power put the visitor’s ahead midway through the first half and Jamie Heffernan doubled the lead early in the second half. Leo McKenna half the deficit with a neat strike but it was Borrisokane who held out for a merited win.

Clodiagh Rangers ‘C’ played Sallypark ‘B’ Sunday morning in Drombane and were looking to make it two wins in a row against a well fancied Sallypark side. The home side struck first when Pierce Ryan finished well from a cleverly worked corner on 30 minutes. Not long after Clodiagh found themselves 3 – 0 up after two strikes from James Coffey. The visitors pegged one back before the break when Dan Bergin headed home. Shane Hogan reduced the home side’s advantage to one when he finished from close range. Clodiagh held out in the end to make it maximum points from their opening games.

Youths Shield
This first round encounter between Ballymackey and Ardcroney produced a seven goal thriller with Ballymackey edging out their visitors on a 4 – 3 score line. On the score sheet for Ardcroney were William Fogarty, Tom Dooley and Darragh Buckley, but their efforts were in vain as Denis Haverty, Tommy Teer, Adam Carey and Gearoid Murphy confirmed Ballymackey’s safe passage to the second round.