• Sat. Apr 17th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 23rd March

FAI Youths Cup
Nenagh AFC made the long journey to Donegal last Sunday to play Letterkenny Rovers in the FAI Youths Cup and progressed to the semi-final stages with a comprehensive five nil victory. Cian Darcy set Nenagh AFC on their way with a close range finish. Ryan Gilmartin made it two nil with a superb volley. Ryan Gilmartin then stretched the Nenagh lead with a cool finish to leave the NT&DL side with a commanding half time lead. Nenagh AFC took up the running again in the second half and left no way for the Donegal side when Cian Darcy finished following an Alan Sheehan assist. Ciaran Reilly copper fastened the win fort the NT&DL Club with a well struck free kick ten minutes from time.

Nora Kennedy Cup
Streamstown Celtic grabbed an extra time winner against Holycross ‘A’ to make it through to the Second Division Cup Final on a 3-1 scoreline. Streamstown went ahead on 21 minutes when Liam Killackey’s free kick went all the way to the net. The home side kept the pressure on and doubled their advantage when Liam Killackey notched up his second of the day. Holycross came back at the League champions and reduced the deficit before half time when a pin point cross from JoJo O’Meara was headed home by Kyle Denny. Holycross will rue not converting from the spot early in the second half, but eventually got back on par in the 92nd minute when Matt Vahey broke on the wing before delivering to Dan Corbett who finished with aplomb to force extra time. The hosts bagged the all-important goal midway through the second period of extra time when Liam Killackey completed his hat-trick sending Streamstown through to the decider in the process.

Premier Division League
Nenagh Celtic won out by the odd goal in three over Thurles Town at Thurles Greyhound Stadium. The visitors hit the opening goal on the fifteen minute mark when Paudie O’Meara got a headed touch on a Mark Walsh throw. Thurles Town levelled nine minutes before the break courtesy of a fine effort from Tom Brophy. Nenagh Celtic went ahead midway through the second half when Davy Walsh’s free kick effort went all the way to the net aided by a slight deflection.

Rearcross recovered a two goal deficit to earn a share of the spoils against BT Harps in Templemore on Sunday morning. The home side netted twice in the space of a minute late in the opening half with Jackie Moore taking advantage to knock home from close range on 34 minutes and then Christy Moore following up with another close range finish seconds later. Greg Kennedy pulled a goal back with a well struck free kick with nineteen minutes remaining. Greg Kennedy was on the mark again four minutes later after getting on the end of Derek O’Toole’s corner kick to send a powerful header to the roof of the net to leave it all square at the full time whistle.

Sallypark and Lough Derg clashed in this Premier League fixture played at the Sallypark venue last Sunday with a scoreless draw the order of the day. Scoring chances were limited throughout to leave it stalemate at the end of ninety minutes.

First Division League
Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ recorded a convincing three nil win over Kilcommon in this derby game played in Drombane. The home team led two nil at the break courtesy of finishes from Brian Carroll and Mark Quinlan. Kilcommon tried hard to get back in to the game in the second period, however Paul Doyle crashed home a third goal for the hosts to finish the game as a contest.

Clonmore picked up maximum points with a two nil home win over Arra Rovers. The opener came on the seventeen minute mark when Michael Delahunty got on the end of a David Bourke corner kick to finish the ball to the net. It was two nil to the home side on 77 minutes when Michael Delahunty bagged his second of the outing with a fine individual effort. The Portroe side turned in a strong finish to the game but were unable to breakdown a resilient Clonmore rearguard.

Roscrea United ‘A’ were 3-2 winners over Borrisokane ‘A’ to keep the pressure on at the top of the table. Robbie Ryan opened the Roscrea account, Brian Donnelly brought the visitors back on par with a well taken goal. Darren O’Connor restored the Roscrea advantage, however Borrisokane levelled it up again when Francis Kelly got on the end of a long clearance from Jamie Donnelly. The hosts left is late but netted a winner through Paul Kirwan five minutes from time.

Third Division League
Borrisokane ‘B’ and Gurtagarry played out a scoreless draw in this league game played in Borrisokane last Sunday, both sets of defences dominated throughout.

Lough Derg ‘B’ secured a comprehensive 5-1 victory over Sallypark ‘B’ at Clarisford Park. The Lakers pounced for two first half goals through Noel McInerney and Keith Conway. It was more of the same in the second period as Keith Stritch helped himself to a brace, both coming from the spot before Mark McInerney rounded off the scoring for the Ballina/Killaloe Club, Dylan Reid grabbed a late consolation goal for Sallypark.

Noreside Celtic and Clodiagh Rangers ‘C’ divided the spoils on a one all score line, James Coffey netted the Clodiagh Rangers goal.

Cloughjordan ‘B’ were three nil winners over league leaders Roscrea United ‘B’ to keep it tight at the top of the Third Division League.