• Sat. Apr 17th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 20th October 2013

ByGer Kennedy

Oct 22, 2013

Clubs are requested to submit Youths match reports before 5:00PM on Saturday, reports for Sunday morning games should be submitted before 2:00PM on Sunday and reports for Sunday afternoon games should be submitted before 5:00PM on Sunday evening to ensure inclusion in the weekend review. Some Clubs are still not submitting match reports and are asked to comply going forward to allow all games to be covered as part of the weekend review.

Munster Junior Cup
Roscrea United ‘A’ advanced to the third round of the Munster Junior Cup at the expense of BT Harps ‘B’ on a four nil scoreline last Sunday morning in Roscrea. The sides were scoreless at the break, however the home team upped the ante in the second half and tagged on four without reply and had their marksmen in Paul Kirwan and Eoin Shanahan who bagged a brace apiece.

Nenagh Celtic ‘A’ clashed with neighbours Nenagh AFC ‘B’ with the Hoops progressing to the next round on a 5-1 scoreline. Craig Connolly edged Nenagh Celtic ahead early on, however Oísin Fitzpatrick levelled matters for the Brickfields side on the 17th minute mark. Nenagh Celtic went in at half time with a 2-1 lead after Danny Ryan scored with a fantastic effort. The Premier Division outfit took over in the second half as Danny Ryan and Craig Connolly rattled the net again before Jimmy Hynes sealed the win for the away side near the end.

Cloughjordan ‘A’ made light work of their trip to Killaloe for this Munster Junior Cup tie against Lough Derg ‘A’ on a five goals to two scoreline. Darren Killackey set the visitors on their way with the opener after five minutes. The sides went in level at the break after Thomas Grace banged home from the spot. Darren Killackey restored the Cloughjordan advantage five minutes in to the second half with a converted penalty. Cloughjordan continued to press and added further goals through Michael Cleary and Ger O’Brien before Darren Killackey completed his hat-trick. Chris Monaghan scored a second half consolation goal for the Ballina/Killaloe side.

Thurles Town welcomed Rearcross ‘A’ to Thurles Greyhound Stadium on Sunday morning for this Munster Junior Cup fixture and secured passage against the visiting side on a two nil score line. Jamie O’Connor put the home side ahead with a headed effort in the 14th minute. Padraig Fogarty doubled the Thurles tally eleven minutes before the break with another headed goal. Rearcross tried hard in the second half, but were unable to breach a solid Thurles Town rearguard.

Premier Division League leaders Nenagh AFC ‘A’ had way too much strength in depth for Lough Derg ‘B’ on an eleven goals to one score line. The Third Division side kept battling to the end despite the scoreline and had their goal scorer in Keith Stritch.

First Division League
Portroe was the venue for the meeting of Arra Rovers and Borrisokane ‘A’ where a ding dong affair produced eleven goals before Borrisokane eventually claimed the win on a 6-5 score line. The sides were tied on a three all score line at the half time whistle with a double hit from John Butler and a well taken goal from Joe Gleeson accounting for the away side’s tally while Arra Rover’s Chris O’Riordan not to be outdone also pounced twice in addition to a well worked goal from Shane O’Brien. It was more of the same in the second half as Chris O’Riordan completed his hat-trick before Stephen Flaherty completed the scoring for the home side, however Borrisokane went one better with finishes from John Butler to round off his hat-trick, Marc Rahmoune and Joe Gleeson completed the rout for the winners to secure a well-earned three points.

Borroway Rovers were the visitors to Kilcommon on Sunday morning and claimed a 5-1 win over the home side. The visitors opened up a two nil lead in the first half courtesy of goals from Al O’Brien and Damien Grimes. Kilcommon rallied after the interval and pulled a goal back when Gary Ryan headed home from a Leo Ryan corner kick. The Thurles side upped the tempo after this and ran out comfortable winners with a second from Damien Grimes before Patrick Gleeson and William Carroll copper fastened the win for Borroway Rovers.

Second Division League
Streamstown Celtic opened up a seven point lead at the top of the table following a merited four nil win against Clodiagh Rangers ‘B’ in Drombane on Sunday afternoon. Paul Doyle was the key man for the visitors with a hat-trick of goals to his credit while Gary Kenneally was also on target with a thirty yard effort that went all the way to the top corner.

Holycross ‘A’ and Portumna Town divided the spoils on a one nil score line in this league tie played in Glenbane on Sunday. The sides were scoreless at break, however Portumna Town edged ahead early in the second half with a well taken goal by Garry Hogan. The lead was short lived however as Rory Ryan pegged it back level a minute later. Both sides had chances after this, however it remained stalemate at the full time whistle. The Portumna custodian turned in a fine display between the posts throughout.

Ballymackey trekked to Killoran Park for this league game against Templetuohy and left with all three points on a 5-3 score line. Timmy Fleming put Ballymackey ahead on five minutes, however the hosts fought back and led 2-1 at the break. Ballymackey showed strongly in the second half and equalized through Alan Kenneally. The visitors stayed on the attack and raced ahead with a second from Timmy Fleming. The visitors tally was increased when Damien Bentley scored with a free kick effort.  A luckless Templetuohy team conceded an own goal near the end to leave no way back on this occasion.

Nenagh AFC ‘C’ emerged victorious over Shannon Rangers by the odd goal in five at the Ballinderry venue last Sunday morning.

Third Division League
Rearcross ‘B’ and Noreside Celtic clashed in this league encounter played in Rearcross on Friday evening with the home side grinding out a hard earned one nil victory.  The all-important goal came early in the opening half when Liam Ryan broke through the centre before pulling back to James Deegan who rifled a low effort to the corner of the net. Noreside pushed hard for an equalizer but met stiff resistance from a resolute Rearcross rearguard.

Cloughjordan ‘B’ kept the pressure on at the top of the table with a convincing six nil win over Borrisokane ‘B’. It was two nil to the hosts at the interval courtesy of goals from Colm Williams and Andy Brennan. Cloughjordan were on top again in the second period and added four more without reply as Andy Brennan scored his second of the outing before Alex Wade, Shane Hodgins and Jack Farrell got their names on the scoresheet.

Roscrea United ‘B’ sent out a strong signal to the chasing pack following a facile seven nil victory over Clodiagh Rangers ‘C’ in Drombane last Sunday morning. The visitors led two nil at the break with goals from Paddy Fletcher and Paul Brussells. It was one way traffic again in the second half as an in form Martin Harty bagged four goals to cap off an impressive win for the league leaders.

Nenagh Celtic ‘C’ played host to Sallypark ‘B’ at Nenagh VEC on Sunday morning and played out a ten goal thriller when the visiting side shaded the issue on a 6-4 score line. The Sallypark marksmen were Mattie Stapleton who netted twice while Chris Tracey, Tom Seymour, Damien Brady, Jack O’Donnell were also on target. The Nenagh Celtic goal getters Tadgh McCarthy who struck a brace which was complemented with strikes from Brian Kevin and Kieran Duffy. 

Youths League
Clodiagh Rangers Youths were the visitors to Ballinree for a Youths fixture against Ballymackey and plundered a 3-2 win. The away side raced in to a two nil with strikes from TJ Butler in the second minute and then Niall Grant was in the action with a converted penalty. Ballymackey re-grouped pulled it back level when Tommy Teer rattled the net twice with the latter coming from the spot. It looked as if the spoils might be shared on the day, however Loughlin Ryan had other ideas and wrapped it up for Clodiagh Rangers with a smashing free kick effort near the end.

Arra Rovers were on their travels to Ardcroney and secured maximum points on a narrow 2-1 score line. It was scoreless at the midway stage. The Portroe outfit went ahead early in the second half when Andrew Duggan found the target. Ardcroney got back level courtesy of a Sean Molloy finish. It was end to end after this, however Arra Rovers bagged a winner late on when Andrew Duggan bagged his second of the day.

FAI Youths Cup
Nenagh AFC progressed in the FAI Youths Cup following a comprehensive win over Two-Mile-Borris last Saturday. The home side were four goals to the good at the half time whistle courtesy of strikes from Ciaran O’Reilly, Dylan Kennedy, Alan Sheehan and Dylan Walsh. Nenagh AFC were on top again in the second half and added to their tally with a brace from Cian Darcy while Dylan Kennedy and Alan Sheehan also added a second apiece, Ryan Gilmartin completed the rout for the NT&DL side late on.

Lough Derg welcomed St Michael’s to Killaloe for this FAI Youths Cup tie but played second fiddle to the Tipperary Town side on a 3-2 score line. Nathan Wood and Jamie Stuart scored the Lough Derg goals while David Buckley, Graham Roche and Ryan McGrath were the St Michael’s marksmen.